After the Circus

Random Sample
Wintertime Ducks

contact me
jean at geemoo dot ca

Mar 14, 2010
So, I recently bought a new computer, and this one is a dual core and supports all kinds of dynamic speed adjusting goodness, which apparently my last CPU did not. While this is all great, there is a bit of a downside.

Down in the status bar of the window manager I use (wmiirc-lua), there is a little box indicating the current scaled CPU speed that each core is running at. As a result of the new dynamicness, the contents of that box are changing all the time. I was going to remove it entirely, but instead decided to write a graphical version of the same. The result of this effort is a wmii plugin called CPU Graph. Upon configuring wmii to load this, it'll create a 10 character scrolling ASCII bar indicating the current CPU speed.

I've got it up at github for the moment, until bartman gets a chance to merge it into the tree.

Download. Install. Enjoy the ASCII goodness.
Mar 10, 2010
I searched for this options for 15 minutes, so I'm posting this here so I don't have to again.

If you're like me and find the magnetic nets always connect to the wrong stuff, you can turn them off! You can do so by adding (magnetic-net-mode "disabled") to your ~/.gschemrc or to a gafrc in your project directory.
Feb 5, 2010
So, I recently had to fix an ubuntu install after Windows had been reinstalled onto the drive.. end result: of course Windows tromped over the MBR and wiped out grub, making the computer automatically boot into windows. The fix is to get booted into Ubuntu and reinstall grub. If you're a debian user, the best way I found to do this is:
  1. Download the Ubuntu liveCD for whatever version of ubuntu you are trying to fix. Don't forget to download the 64bit version if you're trying to fix a 64bit install of Ubuntu.
  2. Do a google search for the usb-creator package for a not quite cutting edge version of ubuntu. While it would be awesome if this package were in debian, I'm sure the demand for it is pretty low, since it seems to be an Ubuntu creation. I am running Debian Squeeze/testing, and had good results using the usb-creator from Jaunty, which can be found here. (It'd be nice if you could just dd the iso to the usb drive and have it work, but alas I tried that, and it does not boot.)
  3. Download and install usb-creator via dpkg -i
  4. Insert a USB disk that you don't mind getting wiped, run usb-creator, select your liveCD iso file and usb disk, click format, and then Create disk.
  5. Wait forever.
  6. Pop the USB stick into the busted machine, and boot from the usb drive into the first menu with the install options.
  7. Move the cursor over the first option for "Try Ubuntu Live CD without changes" and press <TAB> to edit the menu command. Replace the boot=whatever parameter with root=/dev/sdXY, where sdXY is whatever partition your Ubuntu install is on.
  8. Press <ENTER> and boot up into your Ubuntu install.
  9. Open up a terminal, run sudo bash to get to a root shell.
  10. Run update-grub to update your grub configuration file.
  11. Run grub-install /dev/sdX, where sdx is whatever drive you boot off.. probably sda. (NOT sda1)

    Once that finishes successfully, you should be able to reboot the machine and grub will start up, allowing you to select what install you which to use. There might be an easier way to do this, but since I'm not a regular Ubuntu user, this is what I found through web searchs and trial and error. If someone has an easier way, please do fire me an email and I'll update this post.
Dec 20, 2009
I'm not sure when it happened, since I don't use it all that frequently, but firefox/iceweasel changed the default behaviour of Ctrl+Scrollwheel from Zoom in/out to moving back and forth in history. If you want to change it back to controlling the zoom of the page, you can open about:config and change mousewheel.horizscroll.withcontrolkey from its default value of 0 to a value of 3. There are other values you can set that have other functions.. If you're interested, I found the info at
Aug 29, 2009
I used to have a Supybot, but I eventually got rid of it because I didn't want to have to use python to make it do things.

I instead got myself a bender bot (a BasicBot::Pluggable perl bot) from dave0. I wanted a calculator for it, so I whipped up GoogleCalc. GoogleCalc uses the power of google's calculator and will respond to calc commands in channel. It's awesome, only because google calculator is awesome.

Note: There is an existing Google Calculator BasicBot module, but it seemed much more complicated than I needed and didn't come with examples or docs as to how to install it in a bender bot. It's entirely possible it's not supposed to be installed into a bender bot. This way seemed much easier.

Grab and copy it into your modules directory, and edit your yml config file to load it on startup. Talk to it via the calc command.
15:10:02 [ ManOnIRC] MagicBot: calc 1 + 2
15:10:03 [ MagicBot] ManOnIRC: 1 + 2 = 3
15:10:15 [ ManOnIRC] Thanks MagicBot! You rock!